Barrage and Line Of Sight

For english-speaking players... Feel free to "enlist" and join the Landships! community

Barrage and Line Of Sight

Messagede Tichy » Mar Avr 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Interesting curiosity was noted earlier. Should unit have clear LOS trough barrage debris and dust? Ordinary trooper was probably not too able to see trough barrage box nor enemy being target of concentration.

FO's or LO's however would rather observe area more than individual troops and would probably be less affected by barrage.

Any thoughts anyone?
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Messagede Arnauld » Mer Avr 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Oui, j'ai lu je ne sais plus où (règles optionnelles ou pas ? Landships ou InfernalMachines ?) que les tirs de barrage bloquaient la ligne de vue (à cause de la poussière qe cela soulevait) là où ils aterrissaient.

Tichy me racontait qu'il avait également imaginé une règle maison avec les même effets. De plus, il laissait aux observateurs avancé la possibilité d'observer des hexagones situés dans cette zone, arguant du fait que les observateurs avancés observaient une zone et non pas des soldats particuliers.

Des commentaires sur ce point intéressant ?
Run ! The Devil is coming !
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede Alek » Jeu Avr 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Arnauld a écrit:Tichy me racontait qu'il avait également imaginé une règle maison avec les même effets. De plus, il laissait aux observateurs avancé la possibilité d'observer des hexagones situés dans cette zone, arguant du fait que les observateurs avancés observaient une zone et non pas des soldats particuliers

mon avis est que la gêne visuelle est la même: quand un rideau de feu, de fumée et de terre empêche de voir, ça ne change rien que tu sois équipé de jumelles ou d'instruments optiques plus ou moins perfectionnés: tu ne dois pas mieux voir qu'un simple soldat qui observe le barrage à distance (parce que si tu est proche de la zone en question, tu baisses la tête en priant que ça ne t'arrive pas dessus !!!)
Alek
Arm. Car

Messagede Arnauld » Jeu Mai 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Santino pointed out an interesting thing.

1 / FO's have to observe the targeted hex
2/ to observe an hex, LOS cannot be blocked
3/ unpinned friendly units block LOS (Fire Attacks Chapter)

When I barrage attack, I don't care if there are units on the path. For me, it was implicite that #3 was only for Fire attacks. (Am I the only one to play like that ?)

But It could be interesting to update the rules. Do unpinned friendly units block LOS for Barrage ?
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede santino » Jeu Mai 01, 2008 5:52 pm

If ENNEMY units dont' block the sight, so don't FRIENDLY units. It should be updated; or even better, difference between line of sight and line of fire should be done like in most tactical wargames. :wink:
santino
Renault FT-17

Messagede Arnauld » Jeu Mai 01, 2008 6:01 pm

santino a écrit:If ENNEMY units dont' block the sight, so don't FRIENDLY units. It should be updated; or even better, difference between line of sight and line of fire should be done like in most tactical wargames. :wink:

FIRE ATTACKS

Ennemy units block LOS, unpinned friendly units don't, for the reason evoked in the private message i sent to you.
> friendly units WON'T fire trough friendly lines.

In the game, ther's no difference between line of sight and line of fire. There's NO problem (except, yes perhaps, for the FO). Nothing unacceptable !!
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede santino » Jeu Mai 01, 2008 6:05 pm

No it isn't... it would just need a word or two in chapter 5 for spotting ( since I am only talking about FO here )... hey a new stone for your Magna Carta :D
santino
Renault FT-17

Messagede Arnauld » Jeu Mai 01, 2008 6:09 pm

For me, it was implicite that #3 was only for Fire attacks.

Ok, should be updated in this way.

c'est ce que tu voulais dire ?
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede Tichy » Jeu Mai 01, 2008 6:27 pm

santino a écrit:No it isn't... it would just need a word or two in chapter 5 for spotting ( since I am only talking about FO here )... hey a new stone for your Magna Carta :D

Just a note. Please, have a game of Landships. Just the basics, with basic spotting rules etc. Nothing too fancy to start with.

L! is not ASL - and I doubt that it would be so nice if it would be. There are number of unclear situations unlike in ASL, however, they are failry easy to overcome (on the other hand, ASL manual is - let's say, quite comprehensive (should be added to the exam books of law faculty)).

Landships plays in about 30min - 3h in real life, ASL does not. Landships has hex size of 100m versus 40m of ASL. Yes, ASL is more detailed, more accurate of how things are done but L! is fairly accurate about results and gaining that result is significantly faster and play is engaging.

Once you play few scenarios, you will notice things about game mechanics. Some of them are not exactly accurate but not at all really that bad. Some of them are just plain brilliant like non-automatic spotting.

I still recall early days artillery of SL, where in fact it seemed that FFE was written on the hex and it gave time to walk away before FFE actually materialized in the hex...
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Retourner vers International Landships!