Questions about the rules

For english-speaking players... Feel free to "enlist" and join the Landships! community

Questions about the rules

Messagede albinomix » Lun Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hello.
The first to congratulate the creator of the page and thanks for creating a place where beginners can ask the questions.

I have a questions about rules.

Cavalry:

-A cavalry unit can move with charge value if not make a charge to an enemy unit ? I understand that no, he can only use it when you charge a enemy unit is that correct?

-The target unit of the cavalry charge must be identified by the calvary unit or can be identified by another friendly unit?

Close combat:

-If all enemy units are eliminated in close combat phase can the units move in the second phase of movement of infantry?

-If a vehicle only comes in a hexagon occupied by an enemy infantry or cavalry unit for a close combat attack the enemy unit can execute defensive fire on that vehicle in the same hexagon?
If this possible, other units within range of the hexagon can support the unit?

-If a vehicle only comes in a hexagon with an enemy infantry or cavalry unit and he do fire and he don´t close combat in the hexagon, it fire is in the melee phase or the phase of firing offensive?,
The enemy unit can execute fire defensive or offensive against the vehicle in the same hex when the vehicle vehicle fire and do not close combat?

-Resolving the melee combat with a vehicle alone against an enemy unit, if in the test the enemy unit not retreated and remains on the hexagon, the combat ended or you have to roll the dice on the table to determine the close combat?

-The phase of eliminating pinned is ignored by the units locked in close combat or them regain their normal condition? I understand that the units recover operational status, this is correct?

Thanks and excuse my english I am spanish.
albinomix
Little Willie

Re: Questions about the rules

Messagede Arnauld » Lun Jan 25, 2010 8:11 pm

albinomix a écrit:Hello.

Hello

The first to congratulate the creator of the page and thanks for creating a place where beginners can ask the questions.

Welcome and thanks a lot for becoming a member and supporting this forum!

I have a questions about rules.

Just one question or a lot of questions. It seems that it is the 2nd option. Landships! is not very well written sometimes.

Cavalry:

Well... I've never played with cavalry. It's not my cup of tea. I prefer tanks ! But I think I can help!

-A cavalry unit can move with charge value if not make a charge to an enemy unit ? I understand that no, he can only use it when you charge a enemy unit is that correct?

Yes, Charge value is only used when your unit is charging (with the restrictions it implies). But you can charge without attacking (i.e close-assaulting).

-The target unit of the cavalry charge must be identified by the calvary unit or can be identified by another friendly unit?

The endless question about spotting !! I would to say that you can only charge the units you have (personnally) spotted.

Close combat:

-If all enemy units are eliminated in close combat phase can the units move in the second phase of movement of infantry?

No, sorry.

-If a vehicle only comes in a hexagon occupied by an enemy infantry or cavalry unit for a close combat attack the enemy unit can execute defensive fire on that vehicle in the same hexagon?

Yes if ATFA, No if SAFA.

If this possible, other units within range of the hexagon can support the unit?

No

-If a vehicle only comes in a hexagon with an enemy infantry or cavalry unit and he do fire and he don´t close combat in the hexagon, it fire is in the melee phase or the phase of firing offensive?,

Fire Phase. Melee phase is only for melee.

The enemy unit can execute fire defensive or offensive against the vehicle in the same hex when the vehicle fire and do not close combat?

The vehicule won't fire. It will close-assault. ATFA is possible but only during the ATFA phase.

-Resolving the melee combat with a vehicle alone against an enemy unit, if in the test the enemy unit not retreated and remains on the hexagon, the combat ended or you have to roll the dice on the table to determine the close combat?

I don't understand this question. But I will try to answer it ^^ : A french FT17 enters a hex containing a german squad. There's a close assault combat during the close assault combat phase ( close assault is the "official" term for your "melee" or "close combat"). Let's say, there's no effect (- result) : If the FT17 doesn't exit the hex (as it can), there will be another close combat during the next close assault combat phase. If the German unit was pinned, close assault is never mandatory (but easy to win !).

-The phase of eliminating pinned is ignored by the units locked in close combat or them regain their normal condition? I understand that the units recover operational status, this is correct?

It is. Note that some optional rules add a "not automatic pin removal" option ! (in Infernal Machines expansion)

Thanks and excuse my english I am spanish.[/quote]

De nada. It's very enlightening to have such questions. It will help us when we will re-write the rules. My whish to write a Landships!2 is reappearing again ! I hope that these answers will help.

Excuse my english too, I'm french.
Run ! The Devil is coming !
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede albinomix » Lun Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Thank you very much.

On the question you do not understand, I try to explain better.

In Rule 12.23 vehicles alone in close asault of the rulebook of Landship! This writing, that a unit must make a moral test, if the unit passes the test is pinned and if the unit fail the test must instead retreat two hexes and pinned.
If the unit is pinned but not retreat, the unit remains in the hexagon, the close combat ends with this test of moral or make then a normal close combat roll on the table CACRT against that unit pinned?.
albinomix
Little Willie

Messagede Arnauld » Lun Jan 25, 2010 9:56 pm

albinomix a écrit:In Rule 12.23 vehicles alone in close asault of the rulebook of Landship!

Ah yes ! I knew it was something about a fright test !

Reading the example just below 12.23, we can conclude that we have to "simply roll the die and apply the pass or fail result". So no close assault combat !

I LOVE this game, but rules are definitively messy ! Join me and let's pray Holy Clash of Arms for a Landships!2 !!
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede albinomix » Mar Jan 26, 2010 11:29 am

Thank you very much.

The truth that would be great if they make a reediccion with the rules a little better explained and I like to see more support to the game, I think this a bit abandoned by the publisher, and is a great game.

I still played little, but I really like and also I personally like to see more expansions with scenarios of the first world war and russian civil war.

I'm expecting to receive by mail the expansion infernal machines, I hope that clarifies a bit my doubts, but I think I will create more questions.
albinomix
Little Willie

Messagede Arnauld » Mar Jan 26, 2010 12:12 pm

The truth that would be great if they make a reediccion with the rules a little better explained and I like to see more support to the game, I think this a bit abandoned by the publisher, and is a great game.

I keep on harassing Ed Wimble (of CoA). He will say "ok"... one day...

I'm expecting to receive by mail the expansion infernal machines, I hope that clarifies a bit my doubts, but I think I will create more questions.

Be prepared to have a lot of new rules to learn !
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede Tichy » Dim Fév 28, 2010 10:01 am

Infernal Machines, however good ideas it does have, seems even more messed up than Landships original rule set. The problem is same as with original Squad Leader, Landships rules are arbitrarily overwritten by corrections, usually conflicting with the original idea.

Typical example is artillery on Landships, which is not historically very correct to start with, is further expanded in Infernal Machines to accommodate more options, approaches etc. However, the fundamentals of WW I barrage are still wrong. Added complexity is immense.

WWI barrage was 98% pre-determined and there were no practical means to alter (or to call for) the barrage patterns since the ground operations started. Artillery followed planned schedule and that was it. If ground assault did not do as expected, there were very little room to alter the artillery engagement zones.

However, if you take your time to read through Infernal Machines, pick up the good bits, abandon outright bad ones, it does bring nice extra flavor to the game.

There has been, and is alternative approaches, including entirely new design concept.
"Konstytucja mówi tylko o nietykalności sądowej; wszystko inne, panie pośle, jest tykalne!" -Józef Piłsudski
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Messagede Tichy » Dim Fév 28, 2010 8:08 pm

albinomix a écrit:Cavalry:

Cavalry is my cup of tea.

Cavalry can only charge up against enemy unit.

By the way, due to rather stupid rule of straight charge line along a hex row, we have used to charge along hexrows or hexsides. Does not change the distance travelled but alter the angles of attack sometimes in very great depth. I can recommend this.

albinomix a écrit:-The target unit of the cavalry charge must be identified by the calvary unit or can be identified by another friendly unit?

If you mean that cavalry has to spot the target, this is not correct. Cavalry is used to charge against known enemy position. Number of real evidence suggests cases where there has been troops at the target area at the beginning of the charge, there were no soul to be seen when cavalry finally arrived.
"Konstytucja mówi tylko o nietykalności sądowej; wszystko inne, panie pośle, jest tykalne!" -Józef Piłsudski
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Retourner vers International Landships!