Rommel in the Argonne / Notes

For english-speaking players... Feel free to "enlist" and join the Landships! community

Rommel in the Argonne / Notes

Messagede Tichy » Lun Avr 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Rommel in the Argonne.

French view:

For both players, objective is to occupy the town St. Anglique. It was not very hard to see that Germans would have to rush to make it in given time. There are two obvious ways for Gemans to make the assault in time, either by using the road that is exposed and open or by the communication trench that leads directly to the town itself. Preventing Germans from entering the communications trench became the guideline of my strategy and my troop deployment.

French have strong artillery support and terrain advantages. Germans have superior morale and large concentrated numbers.

As Germans could not use much of time to mop up the trenches, I decided to set up deep - sacrificing partly my effective firepower but rather relaying on the strength of French artillery.

I assumed that Germans would not launch wide attack but rather concentrated in two waves, assaulting either flank of French. Keeping this (potentially fatal) approach in mind, I set up in purpose my weaker first line of defense on the right, and much stronger troops on the left close the entrance to the communication trench. In my mind, this would encourage German to attack on the right side, initially handing easy victory of the ground.

Plan was simple. Once Germans are lured to attack on the right flank, I would pull those troops that survive the artillery concentration back from Rhein to Wotan and eventually to Freya. Meanwhile retreating and making sure Germans do not attempt to make too risky advances due fear of loosing troops, my artillery would slow their advance; hopefully decimating their numbers.

While Germans would advance deeper in the trench system, I would build force on left, and solidifying my retreating defense to either Wotan or Freya, steadily giving Germans source of worry and pressure from two directions. If successful, Germans would fight at least some turns against two foes, dividing their force and additionally delaying attack.

While German advance would be delayed by defending troops, my reinforcements would capture and hold the town.

Good plan but how did it work in practice?

Germans started turn with massive concentration of _smoke_. That was very much unexpected move. Troops gained rapid ground in single line and reached first trench line without any casualties. Somehow Rommel was left behind on this initial onslaught.

French response to running troops was to retreat according to plan and form firm stand on Wotan and Freya. Forces on the flank build up as planned and retreat was mostly successful with some delaying action by artillery and strongpoints. It was vitally important to prevent Germans to gain access to the road or to the communications trench.

Germans were eager to run into close assault while French were not yet in firm line, however German assaults were effective, they were also costly as French have low morale troops to throw in. Morale does not play role in close assault and it is very beneficial way for French to counter attack or slow down advance as long as sufficient MG's are available to keep the distance later.

French flank attack proved to be disaster. All but one platoon died in attempt to slow down Germans. Gaining momentary distraction from the German advance and pulling three platoons (one MG) of the front pressure, sacrifice was questionable as the troops could have acted better elsewhere. Afterall, assault proved useful because remaining single platoon held Rommel off the fight for the remainder of the game.

Eventually German advance were brought to a halt by concentrated fire from three MG platoons positioned on Freya and loss of troops in earlier close assaults.

Meanwhile, reinforcements gained ground to take the town.

German assault never reached further than Freya trench line.
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Re: Rommel in the Argonne / Notes

Messagede Tichy » Dim Fév 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Situation reversed. It was time to be in Rommel's shoes.

French setup was somewhat shallow, evenly spread across the terrain to be defended. No true weak points but no true defense in depth either.

Learning from previous experience, I did not contemplate on spreading the German forces too wide apart but a concentrated, narrow thrust in two waves from the right. Plan was to support initial move by smoke and not worry too much about anything but enemy MG's.

Troops moved out fast, Rommel at point, supported by 3 MG's on strongpoints. MG's were to engage any enemy fire. At the time when all assaulting platoons were across the no mans land, only one platoon was lost as casualty. Germans quickly exploited the trench system, ignoring all but obvious passages to the communication trench.

French defenses were collapsing with speed, withdrawal - once it occurred, was too late and too slow. Communication trench was taken and French retreat blocked. Second wave of German assault, supported by MG's joining up at rear, mopped up remaining pockets of defenders. French MG strongpoints were picked up by German MG's and supporting artillery one by one.

City was taken at turn 9, French were beaten.
"Konstytucja mówi tylko o nietykalności sądowej; wszystko inne, panie pośle, jest tykalne!" -Józef Piłsudski
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Messagede Arnauld » Dim Fév 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Was your opponent yourself ?
Run ! The Devil is coming !
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede Tichy » Dim Fév 28, 2010 8:00 pm

No, I would not dare to lose to myself.

Well. He had really bad luck with artillery. I mean really bad.
"Konstytucja mówi tylko o nietykalności sądowej; wszystko inne, panie pośle, jest tykalne!" -Józef Piłsudski
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Messagede Arnauld » Dim Fév 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Can you give me your "playing partner" ? I want to play too !!!
Arnauld
Administrateur

Messagede Tichy » Dim Fév 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Arnauld a écrit:Can you give me your "playing partner" ? I want to play too !!!

Well, remote / PBEM is always an option.
Tichy
Renault FT-17

Messagede Arnauld » Dim Fév 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Tichy a écrit:
Arnauld a écrit:Can you give me your "playing partner" ? I want to play too !!!

Well, remote / PBEM is always an option.

Then by CBB, not by Instant message ^^
Arnauld
Administrateur

Retourner vers International Landships!